Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Some Ticket Gripers should settle down before writing.

Picking up today's Crimson White, I wasn't too surprised to see coverage of season ticket sales on the front page. It is the most reliable perennial story on campus, and every year, someone has something to say.

Most of the time, it's the same recycled stuff from the previous years, but there is always a few new things that stick out in the opinions of those on campus.

First, I'll start with the most repetitive complaint: Give the students more tickets.

I will begin this by saying that until four or five years ago, there was no complaint over students not getting tickets. Everyone who wanted tickets, got them.

In 2006, the student section expanded, as did the stadium.

Next year, the student section is expanding once again. Of course, if any of the four people who wrote to the paper would have paid attention, they would have known this to be happening in 2010.

One opinion suggested to take away tickets from season ticket holders to give them to students because "students will on day graduate and become alumnae, and a happy student makes a happy alumnus."

Sure, let's just forget the 10,000-person waiting list for tickets. Don't worry about the people who make it possible to gain two million dollars per home game. They won't be angry at all.

Another opinion even went as far to call out the athletic department to spend some money for the fans. Does this guy not notice the cranes and missing scoreboard at Bryant-Denny Stadium? The expansion is for the fans.

Speaking of students talking before researching, one person wrote in saying, "students should be reprimanded for letting them (their tickets) go unused or selling to make profits." This same person also said, "if one needs to sell a ticket, they should never charge over face value."

Ok, first, if you had read the page when you registered, it says that after 3 games of non-use, the student's tickets will be pulled and that student will not get the chance to order tickets next season. If one person upgrades their ticket thrice, they will not get post season tickets.

Now, this person has apparently never bought tickets to road games. If no one should sell tickets for a profit, then my Georgia ticket wouldn't have cost me $225 and my SEC Championship game would not have been $325. If someone wants to sell their tickets, it is not their fault that you don't have what they want.

Its supply and demand. This guy is obviously not a business major.

This same writer even went as far to use the laughable idea that "it is also indisputable that some were given priority ticketing, or at the very least notified of a faster way to finish this process."

Ok, let me stop laughing at this before I go on.

First, I am your average rising senior with no connections on this campus. I had my tickets by 7:05 am. I logged in just as everyone else did, waited in the waiting room, and got in.

Second, the one making this claim comes as close to contradicting himself as possible by revealing he is on the SGA ticketing committee. I'm sorry, but if anyone would know the loopholes, it would be someone not only in the SGA, but also on the ticketing committee.

Finally, my favorite opinion of the day had one final gem, complaining that friends could get tickets for other people once they were in.

Sounds like this guys needs some better friends, first off, and second, he obviously doesn't care enough about Alabama Football. I called people like crazy last season once my computer wouldn't let me in last season and I had to get three other people tickets this year because they couldn't get in.

Now, I'm not going to say the ticket purchasing process is golden, cause it is far from it, but I have a few thoughts myself.

First, if we are going to continue to purchase tickets in this way, why not use Ticketmaster or Stub Hub to control the purchasing. They have large enough servers to handle all the traffic that would appease everyone and keep people in line.

Second, I agree with Jesse that we should adopt the LSU system. I support more than just football on this campus, and I was not happy when I had to go somewhere else to get my SEC Championship Game tickets. This would bring more students to Volleyball and Baseball games as well as let me and then other twenty people who still supported basketball this entire season be in good shape for next year.

Third, if people on this campus care about football enough, you would think they would trek to Coleman Coliseum week after week to swipe for their ticket if need be. So, why not do that.

Monday through Wednesday, those who got tickets come to pick their tickets up. Those who don't have tickets can swipe to get in a lottery for those that are not picked up. Wednesday night, those who win the lotto will receive an e-mail informing them about this. Thursday night, they can pick up their tickets at Coleman. It may be a hassle, but it will keep tickets in the hands of those who use them and want them.

Anything that happens, it will definitely be an upgrade from the current system. For me, though, I will just enjoy being able to sleep in one more morning next April when tickets go on sale.

No comments: