Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Review: Kobe Doin' Work

After a week and a half of trying to track down the documentary on failed recording attempts on DVR (check the Lebron piece as to why that has happened), I finally discovered a slot where I could watch Kobe Doin' Work, the documentary by Spike Lee with 30 cameras supposedly living the life of Kobe Bryant on the court in a game against the Spurs from the 2007-08 season.

Kobe was mic'd for the game, and every possible angle was taken of Kobe while he roamed the court being played over a commentary of Kobe of what is going on, how things should have been done, and why things happened the way they did...all because of him.

Before I get too far into this "documentary," I need to say that this was the first piece by Spike Lee that I have ever seen.

Excuse me, the file in the back of my head just reminded me that it is not a piece, but in fact a "joint" by Spike Lee.

(I'm sorry, but when I think of the word "joint," I don't think of a film or project. I think of two things: 1) that thing in LeBron's wrist and elbow that allows him to take jump shots from forty feet with better accuracy than I have while shooting a lay-up and 2) the favorite afternoon relaxing agent of the Josh H. [Howard and Heyfelt] high club. That is a joint.)

After seeing this "documentary," it was the last piece by Spike Lee that I will ever watch.

I have always wondered why he was such an acclaimed director when I had never had the urge to see his work or much less heard of much of his work, and then Kobe Doin' Work made me understand why.

You may keep wondering why I continue to put documentary in quotations, and here is why, as I posted on twitter yesterday while watching:
There is a difference between a commentary and a documentary. Someone should alert such a "great" filmmaker as Spike Lee of the difference.

The entire piece entails Kobe talking over him playing a game. That's it. It is like watching your favorite movie, though Kobe is hardly my favorite, with the producers and actors speaking over the entire thing telling you what is going and happening.

That is not a documentary, that is a commentary. Kobe Doin' Work is a full blown, over-hyped commentary.

Personally, if I was ESPN, I would be embarrassed to have my name on it.

No one cares what is going through Kobe's head. Well, actually, we found out six years ago what goes through Kobe's head, so we don't need to touch on that.

One positive of the film would be the inside access to the halftime locker room. It was the kind of access that even Ahmad Rashad couldn't even pull during his prime.

You got to see Phil Jackson, the master of Zen, go through game film at halftime discussing potential changes in play on offense and defense for the second half. You heard different players give their input about what changed they want to make. In a sentence, it was way more exciting than my high school locker room at halftime.

Other than that, Kobe Doin' Work was a waste of time that actually made me realize I was missing the Jon & Kate Plus 8 marathon on TLC.

Yes, I will admit I watch that show (along with Charlie Manuel and the "Flyin Hawaiian," Shane Victorino), and yes, if I hadn't told myself I was going to watch the entire thing, I would have changed the channel about ten minutes in.

If for some reason you are up late and notice that this commentary is on, but you realize you haven't seen Billy Madison in about five years, side with Adam Sandler, every time.

No comments: