Thursday, July 9, 2009

A friendly conversation over the twittosphere

There is one simple way to know that you are starved for college football.

The answer: arguing over twitter as to why Bama will/won't finish third in the SEC West while college football is 56 days away and Bama football is 58 days out.

Such was the case last night when I had an opposition to Lisa Horne's prediction of the SEC West which looked, and remains, like this:
  1. LSU
  2. Ole Miss
  3. Bama
  4. Arkansas
  5. Auburn
  6. Miss St

Before we get any further, let me introduce Lisa. She is a writer for FoxSports.com, a member of the Football Writers of America Association, and former colleague when I was writing on bleacherreport.com before I got this gig and decided not to multi-task.

So once she asked the opened question of what SEC fans thought of her predictions, I had to stand up for the Crimson Tide, and that's when all the fun started.

Below is a transcript of last night's discussion, 140 characters at a time.

Me-@LisaHorne When defense wins championships, you have the best defense in the West 3rd? Bama did more with less on offense numerous times.

Lisa-@ng11787 The best D got hammered by Florida and Utah. Plus, they lost their career passing leader in JPW.

Lisa-I cannot believe LSU -- even with a killer schedule -- won't win the West. I like their schedule...it's got teeth.

Me-@LisaHorne And when do those teams appear on the schedule? Bama had best rush D in SEC and return 9. Tebow hit perfect spot in SECCG...

Me-@LisaHorne ...and that game was down to a few plays. On offense, G-Mac is already better than JPW and Julio is one year better + Trent @ RB

Lisa-@ng11787 The Bama v Utah game was down to a few plays? The Utes owned the Bama's O-line. OWNED them.

Me-@LisaHorne Never said Utah, I said UF. I was at that Utah game and it was an all around feeling that Bama was gonna run over them. Too cocky

Lisa-@ng11787 You didn't say Florida, but OK. Two BIGGEST games of the year and Bama lost. 2 in a row. I'm just saying'. Why diff this year?

Me-@LisaHorne The ... was a continuation. We aren't talking post season over who will win the Westn its the regular season, and Bama went 12-0

Lisa-@ng11787 As far as down 2 a few plays-yeah, maybe. Like if USC had gone 3 more inches, they would've beat Texas. USC LOST...I don't do IFs.

Lisa-Here's my theory on great football teams: they may get beat, but it's never a blow-out. Good teams can be blown out. Not great ones.

Lisa-@ng11787 No doubt the WKU,Tulane & Arkansas State cupcakes helped that 12-0 mark...those are 3 gimmees. TY Bama has Va Tech. Not a cupcake!

Me-@LisaHorne Nice twist to avoid the @UGA, @LSU plus rivalries @UT and vs. AU in the argument. Not to mention over Ole Miss as well.

Lisa-@ng11787 I actually think LSU Tigers will win the SEC period and go to BCS Rose Bowl National Championship game. (You may quote me)

Me-@LisaHorne Let's hear how Jefferson or Shepard will lead their offense with no WR+a suspect secondary with Snead, Cox, Tebow n G-Mac 2 play

Lisa-@ng11787 Alabama lost their two biggest games. That is fact. Great teams don't lose big games, and they don't get blown out in a BCS Bowl.

Me-@LisaHorne Once again, not the point of the argument here, we are talking regular season, and Bama went 12-0 and beat all teams they play TY

Lisa-@ng11787 You're bringing up Tenn. and Auburn, both 5-7 teams, as big wins? Tennessee lost to Wyoming, Auburn beat Miss St 3-2. Come now.

Me-@LisaHorne Rivalry games, anything can happen. Any other explaination as to why your West fav LSU lost to Ark past two seasons?

Lisa-@ng11787 LY I said Georgia and Alabama were pretenders....I know you remember that. They were. I stand by my LSU projection. QB issue solved

Lisa-@ng11787 Regular season MEANS NOTHING if you can't win your conference or BCS Bowl. See New England Patriots for proof.

Me-@LisaHorne But you are using post season games as your argument as to why Bama won't win the SEC West, and have yet to touch on anything 09

Lisa-@ng11787 I am basing my projections on LSU finally getting it together in their last game (38-2 over Ga. Tech) while Bama folded.

Lisa-@ng11787 I'm saying if u couldn't win it w/ Coffee & Wilson LY, how are u going to do better w/ less experienced O-Line TY? Va Tech is good

Me-@LisaHorne So LSU pick is based off a thrashing of a mediocre ACC team after losing 3 of 4 to end reg season? That's all last year.

Lisa-@ng11787 LSU lost talent LY, like Bama did TY. That's kinda my whole point...LSU suffered last season, and I think Bama will this season.

Me-@LisaHorne Trent is expected to start and coaches say G-Mac is better than JPW and bigger passing threat means more Julio, plus that defense

Me-@LisaHorne ...and Bama beat that same LSU team on the road LY with their most mistake ridden game in RS. One game can't make the next season

(btw, for anyone who may have been wondering: yes, this is the reason why my girlfriend no longer gets my tweets sent to her phone. Ok, continue...)

Lisa-@ng11787 You brought up Georgia as one of the big games that Bama won, but when LSU beat the team (Ga Tech) that beat Ga, they are mediocre.

Me-@LisaHorne Are we seriously gonna use the same logic that would have a 3 yr old trade a penny for a $100 bill (1 for 1) in CFB. Oh wait, BCS

Lisa-@ng11787 Ok ...well last year they said Bama was the best team in the country, and I disagreed. I don't trust coaches, I trust my eyes.

Me-@LisaHorne I never thought we were until we beat UF, and we didn't, but I stand by thought our D has a chance to be the best in nation TY

Lisa-@ng11787 Last comment...I argued with you LY that Bama was maybe top ten team, but not NC worthy. They weren't. Lets not start this up again

Lisa-@ng11787 I wish you nothing but the best. Bama fans are great. Va Tech will be a good test. (for the record, I'll take Va Tech and the pts)

Me-@LisaHorne Works for me. I'll take us, of course. VT traditionally starts slow. Hope the fam and chia pet are doing well.

Lisa-@ng11787 chia pet has been properly memorialized. Good luck! Would love to see some really happy Bama fans!

So that was that. Surprisingly, we managed to go through the entire conversation without even bringing up Ole Miss as a contender in this race, which the Sporting News would slap me for, judging by their rankings.

Nonetheless, I am sure this is not the last college football discussion Lisa and I will have before the season, but I will assure you, they will all be as spirited.

By the way, if anyone cared, here are Lisa's East predictions:

  1. Florida
  2. Georgia
  3. Tennessee
  4. South Carolina
  5. Vandy
  6. Kentucky

No comments: